The RCR Association Photographic Database
April 16, 2024, 06:20:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Afghanistan 2009

Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Afghanistan 2009  (Read 2936 times)
Mike Blais CD
SSM-Nato UNCYP PKM CD
Administrator

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2009, 08:40:08 am »

A snapshot in time: 72 hours in Afghanistan

Rocket attacks are way, way louder than in the movies

By Major John Cochrane, The Edmonton JournalApril 20, 2009 7:29 AM

Forward operating base Ma'Sum Gar, Afghanistan / It is hard to explain the level of activity that occurs in a Forward Operating Base (FOB) during a day here. While some days are busier than others, in general it is a consistent flow of events throughout the day; and a workday over here is 24 hours; we are always on call. In order to give you an idea of what goes on I have outlined a 72-hour block of time that occurred in the vicinity of FOB

Ma'sum Gar.

Day 1

Morning -- I was required to launch the Quick Reaction Force (QRF) for an improvised explosive device (IED) that was suspected to be on one of the routes where we are conducting a paving project to facilitate better, and safer, movement of the local Afghan people. This project also provides work for up to 400 of the locals and helps them to earn an honest living.

Fortunately, there was nothing there, but you can never be too careful over here.

Early Afternoon -- We experienced another rocket attack. It was the first time for some people, but old hat for others. For me, no matter how many times you hear them, they are loud!

It is not unlike what you see in the movies with the whistle and explosion. But multiply the speed and volume of the whistle and

explosion by 50 times and that will give you an idea as to what it's like.

Late Afternoon -- The camp had its first additions to its family.

Yesterday, one of our FOB cats gave birth to four healthy kittens which we have affectionately named Ginger, Bog, Barf, and Shock, after my troop leaders.

Mother and kittens are doing well.

Evening -- The first casualty for the tour for the new battle group, Trooper Karin Blais from the 12th Armoured Regiment of Canada serving with the 2nd Battalion, Royal 22nd Regiment Battle Group. May she rest in peace.

Day 2

Morning -- I travelled to Kandahar Airfield (KAF) on a Canadian Chinook helicopter to attend the ramp ceremony for Trooper Blais.

Afternoon -- As I was in KAF, I attended the transfer of authority ceremony between the outgoing battle group from 3 Royal Canadian Regiment (RCR) under Lt.-Col. Roger Barrett and the incoming battle group from the 2nd Battalion, Royal 22nd Regiment, under Lt.-Col. Jocelyn Paul.

Night -- I attended my first ramp ceremony. It was a rather surreal experience. There were thousands of soldiers present from all nations.

It was an honour to be part of the ceremony and see the respect that soldiers afford one another all over the world, regardless of nationality; but I really hope I never have to attend another.

Day 3

Afternoon -- Afghan police along with Canadian and U.S. advisers strike an IED about 1,800 metres from the forward operating base. Two Afghan police were instantly killed and three critically wounded, along with a pregnant mother and a four-year-old girl.

They were evacuated after life-saving treatment was provided by Petty Officer Martin Bedard and his medical team. Unfortunately, one additional Afghan officer passed away overnight and the pregnant mother lost the baby.

So there you have it -- 72 hours in the FOB. Unfortunately, it's just another day, or days, at the office for us.

Watch for stories from the front lines every Monday on A2 as members of the Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) write about their tank squadron's experience in Afghanistan during the spring and summer months.
Report Spam   Logged

1977-1RCR  Italy PL, B Coy, Mortars
                   Pioneers, Delta Coy
                   CFB London

1979-3RCR  M Coy 12C,  Sigs, Pipes&Drums
                   Mortars
                   CFB Baden WG

1982 1RCR  Mortars 51B, Dukes, BBC (Cyp)
                   Mortars, WO-Sgts Mess,
                   CFB London

2008            President. Niagara Branch
                   The Royal Canadian Regiment
                           Association

Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum